Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lions, Tigers, and Textiles.. OH MY!

Any Project Runway fans out there? This past weeks episode was about the designers creating their own textiles, and fabrics to use in their design.

I liked how they made it seem like only the biggest, and best of main stream designers are the only ones who can get their grubby little hands on their own custom made textile. NOT TRUE! I was researching and came across a lovely little site.

SpoonFlower

Not only can you create your own textiles from ANY image, but you can also buy other customer designs, and on top of everything, if you submit your textile design for public use you'll get a 10% discount! So, maybe someone else will want an apron made with fabric picturing your favorite Boxer Puppy.

Who knows... it's a crazy world.

Their prices are pretty good considering you're paying 16+ dollars a yard for that awesome designer print at JoAnns. They also feature organic cottons, which make the earth happy, and also a lot of other fabric varieties.

*It's an all around great site, and I recommend it if you're not one to pull up your sleeves, and pull out the silk screening kits.

___________________________________________
There's not a whole lot on the home front of sewing. I've been working on a sun dress for the lovely weather here in Ohio, but won't post picture until it's completed. Throughout the process I've learned that empire waist lines absolutely hate me, so I'll be making adjustments.

Okay, I won't leave you entirely hanging... Here's a quick 5 minute photoshop sketch of what I hope to be a final copy. So far my skirt is completed, and I have some adjustment to work on the bodice to lower the waistline on it. I'm thinking of incorporating some hand embroidery to make it a more personal piece.


I hope everyone has a lovely Easter weekend!!

Tootles! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment